Sunday, February 10, 2008

mittens for my sister!

They're finally finished!  I wish her birthday was tomorrow instead of last friday :-)
I started these convertible mittens for my sister Joanna months ago. I think it only took me a couple of days to make the first one, but of course I didn't start the second until I'd conveniently forgotten everything about the first, including the needle size I used. I am hopeless when it comes to writing things down as I go. Anyway, the second mitten ended up being slightly larger than the first. It may just be the tension (too much wine? not enough?) or it may be the needles... oh well. Hopefully she'll just be happy to get them (sorry they're so late Jo!).




Yesterday I made a trip to fabricville on Ste. Catherine street, where I found some very cheap pink/peach/orangey fabric that inspired me to make Joanna this brightly-lined little makeup bag/pencil case/random junk holder.  I like my old singer sewing machine (I found it on Craigslist, and bought it and a little table and chair for $100 in total), but it can be pretty frustrating sometimes. The tension is crazy and super sensitive, and I managed to break the needle on the zipper when I was 90% finished. So I ended up finishing the lining off by hand. I'm not sure if that's devotion to one's craft or just plain old compulsion. No that's not true, I am sure which it is.

No comments: