Thursday, March 27, 2008

vanity cozy

Okay, let me be up front: as much as I like to think I'm not a vain person, I definitely have my silly little obsessions and hang-ups. I'm sure at least a few of you out there can relate! One of my biggest pet-peeves is puffy bangs. I HATE puffy bangs... I iron my bangs out every morning. When my bangs are puffy, or frizzy, or even slightly wavy, I feel like I belong in a Madonna video from the 80's. I have nothing against retro flashbacks in general, but hair-wise, I think most of us are happy to leave that particular decade behind.


What I'm working up to is (this is embarassing) if it was up to me, I would have a hair iron on my person 24 hours a day. Unforeseen rain shower? Hair iron to the rescue! Someone hits you in the face with a snowball? No worries: hair iron! So when I recently invested in a brand-spanking new, fast-heating model, I decided to stow my old, much less efficient model in my gym locker. Want to go for a run on a friday evening before a dinner date with friends? No problem! Gym locker hair iron!

The only problem: my gym locker is a plastic lock-up basket, ghetto-university style. So what's a girl to do when she needs to store her still-hot hair iron in a no-doubt melty and likely flammable basket?

Solution: a heat-resistant hair-iron/vanity cozy! (I forgive you fully if you feel the need to stop reading here)

The inner layer of the cozy is made from an inverted oven-mitt from the dollar store: inverted is key, since the heat-resistant fabric (as logic would dictate) is found the outside of the oven mitt. I just cut out two rectangular pieces and sewed them together very roughly by hand, and then covered this inner layer with a tube-like bag made from a fabric scrap. I added a little handle, and then hand stitched the two layers together by hand around the opening, and voila!


So that's one problem solved, although my larger "issues" remain. The cozy fits nicely, my bangs are looking good and my gym building hasn't burned down. Win, win, win!

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thanks for humouring my obsessive side! 

2 comments:

Caitlan said...

I'm here from craftster- I don't think it's just vanity, reese witherspoon looks so much cuter than madonna, and they're almost the same age.

Kate said...

I"m here from crafster too. I love those type of bangs, but I have very curly hair so they are not practical for me. :( So my obsession is making sure ALL of my hair is curly; sometimes one piece falls flat and I have to fix it! So, I may steal your idea for my curling iron :)